💎 Content Marketing
Content marketing is about promotion via content. You can run a personal blog, guest blog or write at platforms, like Medium (or combine it). Focus on how you can help your users with your content. You don't have to be a professional writer for making cool articles. Just give yourself space to be creative and share your expertise.
I encourage you to start doing content marketing by yourself. Outsourcing it can be very tricky, especially at the beginning. 🤔 Firstly, think how your blog or content is you going to stand out. There are plenty of cool blogs in every industry. How are you going to be different? What unique value can you offer to your users? How can you build an engaged readers community? And the most important question is how you will convert readers into leads. With all those considerations, you should create a content strategy:
- Before starting ask yourself: Should You Blog? (podcast)
- How to Use Customer Research to Get Better Results from Your Content Marketing Program by Crazyegg.
- How to Generate Strategic Content Ideas for Each Funnel Stage by Tyler Hakes.
- Growing From 0-12k Organic Visitors by Mapping Content to the Sales Funnel by Benji Hyam. This post shows how to make the content strategy for a mobile and web-oriented blog.
- Behind the Scenes: How We’ve Built a $5M/Year Business in 3 Years With Content Marketing by Alex Turnbull. An exciting story of how Groove rebuilt their content marketing strategy with the focus on what could actually help their market.
- A case study with the framework on Creating Content That Generates 400,000 Targeted Visitors by Brian Dean.
- How to convert leads directly off of your blog with help on Popups 💰 by Benji Hyam.
- How To Convert Blog Traffic Into Customers With CTAs: The Complete Guide by Devesh Khanal.
- How to Turn Your Blog’s Thank You Page Into a Lead Generating Machine by Emil Shour.
- Content Marketing ROI: How We Measure Success at Hubstaff by Ilia Markov.
- And don't forget to calculate The Customer Acquisition Cost of Content Marketing. Devesh Khanal has divided the cost into 3 categories: costs per article, salary costs and technology costs. You can repeat his calculations for your case and get approximate budgets.
😎 Personal Blog
Start by creating a blog that not only touts your product but offers helpful recommendations, tips & tricks, links, etc. Check what competitors' blogs are publishing, what is popular in the industry and what your users are interested in. Align your article ideas with the content strategy, you have already defined. To get some inspiration scroll these bits of advice:
- How We Come Up With Ideas for the Blog by Emily Triplett Lentz from Help Scout team.
- How to Generate Content Ideas With These 3 Awesome Tools. Robert Katai shows how to use tools 🔎 to find out what people are asking about your industry (via keywords).
- 266 blog post ideas from Ed Leake. It’s a mix of many topics to write about. Feel free to scroll it and steal relevant stuff.
- A Simple Guide To Figuring Out What To Blog About. As Marko Saric mentioned, 🙏 the perfect topic is found by interlinking your passion and personality with the demand from the market.
- If you have skipped articles in the Content Marketing section above, I do encourage you to read them! The first 4 articles have excellent frameworks for getting strategic content ideas.
Pick the most appropriate content format — video, list, long-read. Then think about the right headline for driving interest to your great article:
- Research on writing viral headlines by Steve Rayson from BuzzSumo.
- 30+ Ultimate Headline Formulas for Tweets, Posts, Articles & Emails from Buffer team.
- Copywriting Headlines That Sell (with Templates & Swipe File) via KopywritingKourse.
- The 3-Step Bulletproof Formula To Writing Kickass Blog Post Headlines by Danavir Sarria.
- Why Writing Creative Headlines Hurt Conversions: What We Learned Analyzing 150,000 Opt-Ins by Sean Bestor.
Craft your blog with SEO focus:
- The Complete Guide to Blog SEO. Ryan Stewart covers more than just making your blog SEO-friendly. Ryan talks about blog strategy, keywords research, and promotion of your blog via building links to posts.
- How To Rank Your Blog Posts On Google’s First Page. Marko Saric keeps focus on SEO optimization for WordPress blogs.
- The 10 Types of Content That Work Best for SEO. Rand Fishkin advises on which format should you use for your project.
- How To Use 11+ Free Tools To Find Prequalified Content Ideas for SEO from Nate Shivar. The article will teach you how to prequalify your content ideas with SEO research.
📌 Check your grammar and readability! I use these cool apps:
- Hemingway App
- Ginger Grammar Checker
- Browser extensions, like Grammarly.
- To check that your content is unique you can use this site or online tools. I use this Ru-checker.
📗 Medium Marketing
Medium is an online publishing platform with a huge active community. You can make your blog there and engage with your users and Medium readers. You still need to promote your articles yourself. Medium is a high-traffic community, but you are not the only one who competes for attention.
Basics of writing on Medium. How to write, edit, publish and add your article to publications:
- FAQ from Medium on Writing.
- Useful keyboard shortcuts.
- How to insert code blocks & inline code to your articles.
- Tips and tricks for Medium writers.
- How to add draft or post to publication.
- What are the pros and cons of publishing via Medium vs. your own domain? via Quora.
- Tip on how to see all your followers on your Medium collection
Articles, where you can find what topics, titles, collections, tags, categories and post length are popular for Medium readers:
- How to write Medium stories people will actually read by Quincy Larson.
- Guide from Medium team on making your publicatio(basically, your blog) and nice tutorial How to Make Your Publication Look Great by Elizabeth Tobey.
- Medium’s Most Recommended Stories of 2016 by Levent Aşkan.
- How to Win at Medium (advice on the title, text formatting & images) by Elizabeth Tobey.
- 35 Actionable Tips to Grow Your Medium Blog (timing, some promotional tips) by Ali Mese.
- What I learned from analyzing the top 252 Medium stories of 2016 by Quincy Larson.
Publishing on Medium or elsewhere removes all your technology hassles. It's a good place to start implementing your content marketing strategy.